Friday 30 May 2008

Visiting Venice ~ part 2: the Guggenheim collection


Here we are with the second part of my tour in Venice: the Guggenheim museum.

Yesterday, I went with one of my friend (Federica!), to visit this museum.
I had been there only once, during a trip in primary school, so obviously I remembered nothing but some colours' perceptions and some vague feelings. It was an incredibly hot day yesterday and because of this our lesson and our trip was quite tiring.

The Guggenheim museum is situated near the Academy bridge (ponte dell'Accademia) and it has been Peggy Guggenheim's house until 1979. She lived among her favourite paintings and sculptures and in the museum you can still see her table with chairs, her silver bedhead, etc.


Let's say that contemporary art is not my favourite kind of art, but despite of this I appreciated the collection, at least for some paintings and artworks (I'm posting some pictures here).



The main artists and artistic mouvements you can find in the collection are: Pablo Picasso, Wassily Kandinsky, Pollock, Max Ernst, Delaunay, De Chirico, Futurism painters like Boccioni, Carrà, Russolo, Surrealists like Dalì and Tanguy.
I enjoyed the paintings (well, at least some of them!) I must say that it's really different to see them in a book and to look at them in a museum. The colours and the brightness of some oil paintings give such a different kind of emotion when you can see them in fron of your eyes.
So, even if I don't like Futurism as a mouvement, I found myself enjoying some of those paintings too.


The museum is quite small, smaller than I thought, it has a beautiful "terrace" on the Canal Grande and a small garden where you can see some sculptures, a wish-tree (a Yoko Ono's present to Peggy) and also Peggy's grave.



In the museum cafè, there are a lot of artists' photographs on the walls, and as usual there's a museum shop (really expensive though! >.<) where I bought a postcard of the painting that had impressed me when I was a child: "Solidità della nebbia" (The solidity of fog), made by Luigi Russolo, an italian painter born in a city nearby. It was quite a strange feeling to see that painting and suddenly remembering that time in the past when those colours impressed my childish imagination.


Some other paintings and works I liked:


So, this is was the last visit before exams.. (´ヘ`;) now I have to study a lot!! >.<
Bye, bye! (´ー`)/~~

*images credits (in order):
1 - The museum entrance
2 - Delaunay - fenetres ouvertes (open windows)
3 - Kandinky - Weisses Kreuz (white crosses)
4 - Max Ernst - couple zoomorphe
5 - The museum terrace on the Canal Grande
6 - Luigi Russolo - Solidità della nebbia (the solidity of fog)
7- Calder - silver bedhead
8 - Delvaux - l'aurore
9 - Max Ernst - the Antipope
10 - Tanguy - le soleil dans son ecrin
11 - Clyfford Still - Jamais
12 - Picasso - le poete (the poet)

No comments: